Hmm... I've managed to convince some of you, who lives in the States and never even heard of Hikawa- sensei to order Kanata Kara through Kinokuniya and the likes! *wide grin* I'm glad I'm writing this fanfic then! Kanata Kara is a series that deserves attention. Some even think that KK is better than Fushigi Yuugi! ^__^ All we need is the anime now... :p 

Disclaimer: Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon and all related things are properties of Takeuchi Naoko-sensei, Kodansha, TOEI et.al. Kanata Kara and all related things are properties of Hikawa Kyoko-sensei, Hakusensha et.al. All original things are created and developed by Silver Wind.

Far Away Destiny

Chapter 4 : Rienka, City of Power 

by Silver Wind
http://suiko.net/lain

    
    "When will we arrive at Rienka?" Michiru asks Izark.
    The tall warrior thinks for a few seconds, "Tomorrow afternoon, maximum. We have to camp tonight, though."
    Noriko tugs Izark's sleeve, "Ne, Izark... do you think we will meet people that we know?"
    "I don't know, Noriko," he smiles a little, "I do know that Rachef and Keimos are at Rienka. But about Garya, Agol or the others, I have no idea."
    Haruka raises one eyebrow, "I really want to meet this Lord Rachef. I take it that he's the ultimate evil boss?"
    "You can say that," Izark nods, "He's very, very powerful. I'd suggest that we don't underestimate him."
    "He's actually very beautiful," Noriko adds, blushing slightly, "in an evil kind of way..."
Mamoru and Rei exchange glances. As they have the most powerful psychic energy among them, it intrigues both of them when they hear Noriko's words.
    "Now I'm really curious," Mamoru mumbles.
    Usagi looks at him worriedly, "Mamo-cha~~n!"
    He laughs, squeezing Usagi's shoulder gently, "Don't worry! I won't do anything stupid, I promise!"
Izark stops his horse and jumps down. He looks around him, eyebrows knitting together in a frown. Haruka follows his lead, her right hand resting lightly on the Space Sword's hilt.
    "Izark?" Noriko whispers.
Haruka glances at Izark, one eyebrow raising in question. The warrior nods and Haruka relaxes his stance. 
    She turns to the others, grinning teasingly, "Don't be nervous! Nothing's wrong and all's clear!"
They all jump down to the ground, stretching their stiff muscles.
    "Noriko-chan, will you help me preparing our meals?" Makoto calls out.
    "Ah, hai!" she smiles.
    Minako drops down on the grass, "So, Izark... tell me more about your friends... Garya... and Agol?"
    He looks down thoughtfully, "I've known Garya since I was a teenager. She was my very first teacher in swordmanship..."
    "Aunt Garya told me the whole story!" Noriko giggles, "Izark refused Aunt Garya's every effort at first. But then he gave up..."
    "Because she promised to leave me alone after I learn the basic lesson!" Izark grins a little.
    "She seems like a very nice woman," Usagi smiles.
    "She is," he replies earnestly, "like a mother to me..."
A silence falls upon them.
    "... even more than my own mother," his face darkens.
The senshi and Mamoru exchange glances uneasily.
    "Forgive me. Never mind what I said," he stands up abruptly and walks away.
Noriko gives them all an apologizing look and she follows after him.

    Minako whistles, raising her eyebrows, "I wonder what Izark had in his past..."
    "Not a very pleasing experience, I say," Setsuna says in her throaty voice.
    "Poor guy," Haruka shakes her head.
    "At least he has Noriko-chan now," Michiru lays her head on Haruka's shoulder.
    "Why do we trust them so easily, minna-san?" Hotaru surprises them all.
    "You know, that's a very good question," Rei muses.
    Makoto nods, "Hai. Even you trust Izark and Noriko-chan... right, Haruka-san?"
    "Un," she agrees, "I can't explain it..."


    "So Keimos is defeated easily?"
    "Yes, Lord Rachef," the old man replies.
    The man only nods, "Very well. After he wakes, he's to come to my chamber. You have done well, Oracle Goriya."
    "It's a pleasure, my Lord."
    "Do you think I will be able to make him bow to my power, Goriya?"
    "If you are careful in planning your trap, yes, I'm sure, my Lord."
    "Excellent," he smiles, "Mezame, Tenjoki and this world... they all will be mine."


    "Izark..."
He looks over his shoulder. Noriko is standing a few feet from him, a hesitant look on her face.
    "Izark..."
    He forces a smile onto his face, "Don't worry about me, Noriko. I'm just fine. Please, go back to the others."
    "I don't want to!" Noriko surprises herself with her outburst, "I... I meant..."
A silence, as Izark looks at her in question.
    "I... how could I leave you alone?" her voice drops down into a whisper, "Even though you asked me to... I couldn't bring myself to leave you alone... after all that we've been through together... how could I?"
    "Yes...," his face softens, a small smile slowly playing on his lips, "after all that, it'd be ridiculous if I still ask you to leave me alone."
Izark walks to Noriko's side and puts his arm around her. She blushes and bows down her head. He looks at her, a gentle light crossing his deep eyes.
    "Izark... why do we trust the girls and Mamoru-san so easily?" Noriko suddenly asks.
    "I think," he replies thoughtfully, "it's why we so easily trust Garya, Agol and Barago. It's the same reason..."
    "Hai," the girl smiles, "A warm strength comes from them all..."


    "I believe Noriko-chan is too innocent to do any tricks or evil or tell lies...," Minako trails off.
    Haruka nods, "And Izark is just too noble and honorable to do such a thing."
    "A warrior always reconizes another warrior, ne?" Mamoru smiles faintly.
    "Even my logic suggested us to trust them immediately," Ami adds, grinning behind her hand.
    "Enough talking for tonight, young ones," Setsuna cuts in, "Speaking of suggestions, I suggest we'd get a good night sleep because tomorrow..."
    "... we're going into enemy's lair," Michiru finishes, laying her body casually on the ground, "Oyasumi nasai, minna-san. Haruka, wake me up if you're sleepy."
    "Don't worry, Michiru-san!" Makoto cracks her knuckles, smiling mischievously, "The first turn to watch is mine!"
    "I can sleep well, then," she smiles gently to her fellow Senshi, "Sweet dreams, minna-san."
    Haruka pats Michiru's head affectionately, then she turns to Makoto, "Mako-chan, don't hesitate to wake me up if you sense anything, okay?"
    "Hai!" the brunette winks.


The night passes without disturbance. Izark is the first to get up when the first light just appears. He taps Haruka's shoulder lightly to wake her. Then he wakes Mamoru in the same way. The prince's head jerks up and he jumps in surprise.
    "Oh, Izark. Good morning," Mamoru smiles sheepishly.
    The warrior nods curtly, "Good morning. We'd better hurry now."
    "Saa," gently, Mamoru nudges Usagi, "Usako, wake up. We have to go now."
    "Mmmhh...," Usagi opens her eyes and grins, "Ohayo, Mamo-chan."
Rei looks up to the blue sky and sighs. She really wants to meditate, but there's just no chance to do it.
    "You look worried, Rei-chan," Ami comments.
    The priestess-to-be shrugs, "I don't know... maybe it's just my feeling..."
    "But your feelings are usually correct," Michiru puts her hand on Rei's shoulder, "perhaps you should tell us what you feel."
    "You're right," she bites her lower lip slightly, "it feels so... dark... It's like... I don't know... something is waiting for us, ready to devour us..."
    Minako and Haruka look at one another, then the leader of the Senshi smiles cheerfully, "Well, whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle. Rei-chan, just tell us if you feel anything again!"
Rei looks at her doubtfully, but then she only smiles. Haruka waits after the others are distracted by other things then she approaches Minako.
    Haruka bends down, whispering in Minako's ear, "'It's nothing we can't handle', Minako-chan? How very assured of you, hmm?"
    She looks at Haruka's dark blue eyes calmly, "It's useless to make them even more worried, Haruka-san. I'm sure you understand. Besides, I believe we are more than capable in any battles, in any situations. Don't you agree?"
    "Very well," Haruka chuckles, "thus spoke the leader of the Senshi. I will obey your command."
    "Arigatou," she smiles gratefully, "I'm counting on you."
    "I will not let you down," the Senshi of the Sky returns the smile warmly.


    "They will continue their journey now, Lord Rachef," the oracle looks at his master.
The man smiles. A light crosses his cold deep eyes.
    "To Rienka?" he whispers, "And I will gladly wait for them..."
    "But, Lord," the old man purrs, "You have to be careful... the current companions of the Mezame and Tenjoki could be dangerous for your plan... They are very powerful."
    "Oh, are they?" he laughs mockingly, "you will see, my dear seer... I will win!"


    "Ne, iku yo, minna!" Makoto jumps onto the carriage.
Mamoru helps Usagi to climb onto the horse. Haruka and Michiru are ready on their horse. Izark extends his hand to haul Noriko up.
    "Let's go!" Minako winks, her chain tied around her slim waist.
    "You're all ready with your weapons, eh?" Izark asks, smiling slightly.
    "Hey, after my beautiful sleep last night, I'm ready to fight anything and anyone!" Rei grins.
    Setsuna laughs, "Beautiful sleep? Like you still need it, Rei-chan?"
    "Of course I need it to keep my beautiful form and face in shape!" the priestess strikes a pose confidently.
    Haruka sweatdrops, "I've never known you have that bone in you, Rei-chan..."
    "You meant, that narcissistic bone, Haruka-san?" Usagi asks drily.
    "Usagi-chan, you know what narcissist is?" shock spreads all over Ami's face.
    "Nani?" the princess giggles, "of course I know what it is!"
    "That's an improvement," Rei grins.
    "Don't underestimate her, minna," Mamoru laughs, squeezing Usagi's shoulders gently.
    "Back to our current issue," Michiru says dramatically, "Is Rei-chan a narcissist at heart?"
    "She's not a narcissist," Haruka adds, a wicked smile on her face, "She just doesn't have any insight of her true self!"
They all laugh, Rei glaring good-naturedly at her taller friend. Noriko is also laughing and even Izark has to smile.


    "Are you injured, Keimos?"
    "No, Lord Rachef..."
    The tall man smiles slightly, "However, your pride is. Isn't it so?"
    "My Lord, I promise that the next time I see him again..."
    "My dear boy, don't make promises you can't keep," a mocking voice cuts his words.
Keimos turns around and sees a beautiful woman behind him.
    He smirks wickedly, "Ah, lady Tazashina. You wound my heart with your mockery!"
    "I wouldn't worry about your heart, Keimos," 
    Tazashina chuckles and bows to the silent man, "My Lord Rachef. Why do you summon me?"
    "I want you to listen to Keimos' story too," he answers calmly, "Because I find it hard to believe that Keimos and the many men I sent could be defeated so easily by the Tenjoki."
    "I see," the oracle bows again.
Rachef nods to Keimos, "The complete story now, Keimos."
    "Yes, my Lord," the cat-eyed man clenches his fists, "If only it would've been the Tenjoki alone, I knew I could win! But there are at least nine other people with him and the Mezame..."
    "Nine other people?" the ruler of Rienka raises his perfect eyebrow, "What kind of people, Keimos?"
    "Eight women... one of them was dressed like a man... and one man... they all seemed to have power beyond normal human beings, my Lord," he bites his lower lip, remembering the enemies he fought, "The woman who dressed like a man... the wind around her obeyed her and protected her. There's also one woman who can control the power of thunders and lightnings... and the nature listened to her call... another one could summon the sea water from a mirror that she held... I know they are not ordinary people, my Lord."
    Rachef puts two fingers under his chin thoughtfully, "Eight women and one man, at least? Did they wear strange clothes, Keimos?"
    "No, my Lord," he replies, "but the man... he didn't wear his hair long like the men in this world."
    "What about their weapons?" Tazashina asks.
    "Now that you ask, Tazashina," the warrior nods, "They did bring strange weapons. A staff with sharp sword on one edge, a gold chain, another staff with some object on the edge... I don't know. About the others, they simply used their hands. Their weird power blasted from their bodies..."
    "What do you think, Tazashina?" Rachef quietly asks.
    "I need to consult my power about this, my Lord," she answers, "I will let you know about the result this evening."
    "Very well," he turns to Keimos, "Keimos, go and rest now. Tend to your wounds. I don't want you in a weak condition. Go."
    "Yes, Lord Rachef," he bows.
    The oracle also bows, "If you will excuse me too, my Lord."
    "Yes. Go now," he dismisses them both with a wave of his hand.

When he's alone once more, the beautiful man keeps standing still.
    "Tenjoki, why do you resist me so?" he says aloud to the silent room.


    "That's Rienka," Izark says, pointing at a direction in front of them.
Rei shivers. Makoto looks at her in confusion.
    "Ne, Rei-chan, are you cold?" she asks.
    "Iie, Mako-chan...," she hugs herself, "It's just..."
    "There's something there," Mamoru cuts in quietly, "A presence that keeps bothering Rei-chan and myself."
    "What kind of presence, Mamoru-san?" Michiru exchange glances with Haruka and Setsuna.
    The prince forces a smile on to his face, "I can't explain. A thing that crawls on my skin... and a thousand voices that whisper in my ears."
    "That's something," Minako raises one eyebrow, "Let's be prepared, minna!"
    "Mamo-chan," Usagi grips his hand worriedly.
    Mamoru pats her head, "Daijobu, Usako. We will be all right."
    "My computer says there's nothing that should be concerned of here," Ami reports, closing the mini computer with a flick of her wrist.
    "Come on," Haruka urges, "I can't wait to get into that city!"
    "Yoshh!" Makoto's eyes twinkle in excitement.


    "What should we do, my Lord?"
    Rachef only smiles, "I would like to meet them. So let them come to me. I know the Tenjoki would look for me."
    "And what about me?" Keimos asks, grinning wickedly.
    "No, Keimos," the sovereign replies, "They are to see neither you nor Tazashina."
    "But..."
    "I'm perfectly capable of defending myself," 
    Rachef adds calmly, "Your time will come. You will be able to defeat the Tenjoki, Keimos. Be patient."
    "Yes, Lord."
Keimos bows and exits Rachef's private chamber.

    Rachef looks outside the window, slowly a feral smile forming on his handsome face, "Come to me, Tenjoki. Yes... I am waiting for you."


    "Father!" the little girls cries out.
    Her father hugs her worriedly, "Gina? Are you all right?"
    Gina nods excitedly, "Father! Izark and Noriko are coming to Rienka!"
    "Agol, what's the matter?" a young man pokes his head into the room.
    "Banadam," the warrior frowns, "Gina said that Izark and Noriko are on their way to Rienka..."
    "What?" Garya asks in disbelief, "Are they crazy? Rachef will hunt them!"
    "Gina's right," Zena, Garya's twin sister, confirms the prophecy, "We have to help them."
    "Meeting Izark again?" Barago cracks his knuckles, "I can't wait!"
    "Shall we leave tonight, then?" Banadam looks at his friends.
    "Well, I think our time has come to battle Rachef face to face, don't you think?" 
Garya puts a hand on the hilt of her sword.


Noriko looks over her shoulder. Her eyebrows are knitted together and a frown crosses her face.
    "Daijobu, Noriko-chan?" Setsuna, who's beside her, asks.
    "Ah!" she smiles cutely, "Daijobu, Setsuna-san... I'm just thinking of something..."
    "About what, if I may ask?" the older woman inquires further.
    "There's something nagging me," she purses her lips, "I feel I'm forgetting something, but I don't know what..."
    Setsuna pats Noriko's head softly, "Don't worry... everything will be just fine."
    "Un!" she smiles again.

Haruka looks at Izark. His handsome face is twisted in a frown and his eyes seem troubled. She sits beside him and unsheaths her sword, cleaning it casually.
    "Are you okay, Izark?" Haruka asks quietly.
    The young man shrugs, "Yes..."
    "But...?" Michiru kneels in front of him.
    Izark lifts his eyes off his own sword, "I... ah, it's nothing."
    "Okay," Haruka calmly replies, "If you want to tell it, Michiru and I are still here."
    "... Thank you," he nods curtly.


    "... But, Father...," the little girl trails off.
    "Is there anything else, Gina?" Agol asks.
    "Yes," she nods, "Besides Izark and Noriko, Gina also saw ten other people with them."
    "Ten?" Barago asks incredulously.
    "I can't believe Izark is able to trust other people," Banadam raises one eyebrow.
    Garya looks at her twin sister, "Sister, did you see them too? What kind of people were they?"
    "Nine women," Zena answers, eyebrows knitting together in a frown, "one of them looked like a man at first glance. And one man. A handsome man, but he looked strange because his hair was short."
    "Perhaps they are from the same world as Noriko?" Banadam suggests.
    Agol nods seriously, "I believe it's possible."
    "What are we waiting for, then?" Barago shouts, "let's leave tonight!"


    "My Lord," the old seer says softly, "other friends of the Tenjoki are coming to Rienka also."
    "Let them all come," Rachef laughs, "Let them all come to me... The Tenjoki will kneel in front of me soon!"
His laughter echoes in the stone chamber.


    "Finally...," Haruka sighs dramatically.
    "... we arrive," Michiru continues, grinning behind her hand.
Izark, Noriko and the Senshi step into the city of Rienka. The huge gates are guarded by several armed soldiers who are anything but rude to all the people passing through.
    "I'm amazed," Mamoru comments, both eyebrows raising.
    Izark shrugs, "Rienka supports its lives by trading and providing services for the traders, politicians and basically everyone else. So, despite their rough appearances, the soldiers are very polite and courteous."
    "But they are very skilled in defending and fighting," Haruka says, critical eyes on the smiling soldiers.
    "Very true," the warrior smiles a little.
    "Sugoi!" Minako exclaims, looking around her in excitement.
    "Exactly my feeling," Ami agrees.
    Makoto sighs wistfully, "If only we were here for other reasons... how nice it would be to enjoy this city!"
    "Well," Usagi smiles easily, "Everything has its own price. Let's just do what we have to do!"
    "Sometimes you really do impress me, Usagi!" Rei claps Usagi's shoulder affectionately.

A tall soldier approaches them. Izark's right hand rests on his sword's hilt as he looks at the soldier suspiciously. Haruka's blue eyes narrow into slits, sizing the situation around them.
    The soldier clicks his heels together and bows down, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the city of Rienka..."
    "Thank you," Mamoru answers curtly.
    "I was ordered to escort you to the palace," he continues, bowing down again.
    "Escort us?" Rei raises one eyebrow.
    Makoto steps forward beside Rei, "To the palace, you said?"
    "By whom?" Hotaru adds quietly.
    "And why?" Setsuna finishes, tapping the Time Staff on the ground softly to emphasize her words.
    "Excuse me for not saying this earlier," he smiles politely at the questions, "My lord and the ruler of this city would like to invite you all to be his honored guests."
    "Your lord?" Izark tenses up.
    He nods, "Lord Rachef, the beloved sovereign of the citizens. Please come with me."
    "And what if we refuses?" Haruka asks, grinning ferally.
    "Then you would dishonor my ruler," his voice takes a dangerous tone although he's still smiling, "And you would not like the consequences of your choice..."
    "Please wait a little while," Usagi says, exchanging worried glances with Noriko.
They move closer to each other and begin talking softly about the situation.
    "We can't possibly trust him!" Michiru exclaims in a whisper.
    "Do we have any other choices?" Mamoru points out grimly.
    "We can try fighting our way to the palace and drag the Lord outside to meet us!" Makoto suggests, a wicked glint in her eyes.
    Haruka shakes her head, "Too dangerous. Too impractical. No can do."
    "Agreed," Minako nods, "Perhaps this is the best way we can meet Rachef without fighting."
Silence falls upon them and one by one, each of them nods his or her agreement.
    "So...?" Ami smiles, "Shall we...?"
In unison, they turn around to face the soldier again.
    Izark gives him a sharp glare, "We accept the invitation."
    He bows down for the third time, a satisfied smile on his face, "Please follow me then, honored 
visitors."


    "I can't believe Lord Rachef did this to us!" Keimos practically shouts, sharpening his sword sulkingly.
    Tazashina couldn't suppress her laughter, "You are still craving for revenge, aren't you?"
    "Do shut up, Tazashina!" he shoots her a deadly glare, "Don't tell me you approve of this action!"
    "I don't," the seer admits, grinning wickedly behind her hand, "But I respect our lord's decision, Keimos. He must have planned something for the Tenjoki and his friends. Lord Rachef is not a stupid man, as I'm sure you also realize?"
    "Yes, yes... it's unquestionable," the cat-eyed man grumbles, "I just hope that I will have a share of this fight. Tazashina, can't you see the outcome of this battle? Are you not an oracle?"
    She sighs, her face darkening in disgust, "As strong an oracle as I am, Keimos, this time my vision is heavily clouded. The strangers from the other world... their coming here has truly changed the way of things are... even I cannot predict the future now..."
    Keimos leans back on his chair thoughtfully, "Hopefully, Lord Rachef's scheme progresses the way he actually plans it..."
    "One thing I know, my dear warrior," the beautiful woman smiles evilly, "That to bring back the fate to its original path... the deviation must be restored..."
    "... and the strangers must be eliminated," he joins in her laughter, "Beautiful!"


    "How long is it until we arrive?" the little girl asks, agitation showed clearly on her voice.
    "Be patient, my dear," her father soothes her, "Tonight, if nothing stands in our way."
    "And nothing will," Garya adds firmly, "I will make sure of that personally..."
    "I understand Gina's anxiety," Zena looks at her twin sister, "Garya... Izark, Noriko and their friends are on their way to Rachef's palace right now..."
    "Then we will have to worry, won't we?" Barago urges the horses to run faster.


    "Welcome to the palace of Rienka," a beautiful woman in silk dress politely greets them.
    The soldier smiles, turning around to leave them, "If you will excuse me now, Ladies and Gentlemen."
    "Now," the woman smiles sweetly, "please follow me. Lord Rachef is waiting in his private chambers."
    "All of us?" Usagi asks, "He's waiting for us?"
    "Why, yes, milady," she chuckles, "And I'm ordered to escort you all. I'm the maid in charge of this whole palace."
    "I see," Haruka's feral grin widens, she's moving to the front, "Do lead us now, please."

The maid walks in front of them, leading them through the concrete halls.Finally she stops before a huge pair of twin dorrs.
    She knocks the door softly and a deep voice comes from the other side, "Come in."
    "Please, honored guests," she opens the dorrs for them, backing away slowly.
One by one, they enter the huge chamber and she closes the doors behind them.A tall and slender man stands in the center of the room. Strength emanates from his seemingly fragile body, from the root of his fine long black hair, to the tips of his graceful fingers.
    He smiles slowly, satisfaction shining clearly on his beautiful face, "Welcome, Mezame and Tenjoki... and the strangers from the strange world..."
Izark lets out a deep sigh. His whole body shivers slightly, his eyes looking dazedly at the other 
man.
    "Tenjoki, I've been waiting for you...," Rachef whispers in his throaty voice, "I've been waiting for so long..."
    "You've been waiting for me?" Izark whispers back, walking forward a few steps.
Haruka and Michiru exchange startled looks when they see Izark's blank expression.
    "Oh yes," the lord slowly and surely moves until he's right in front of Izark, "You have no idea how long..."
Izark releases the hold of his swords, arms hanging limply by his sides. His eyes wear a clouded look in them. Passively, he watches Rachef as the beautiful man lifts his hand and curls his graceful fingers around Izark's chin. The Senshi let out surprised exclaims at that, Noriko clenching her small fists tightly.
    "But now you're here," unconcerning about the others, a sweet smile appears on Rachef's face, his fingers carressing Izark's skin with velvety touches, "And you will be mine..."

To be continued in Chapter 5: Bittersweet... Invisible Bind

Author's Notes:
Hmm... I do think a friend of mine is ready to kill me after reading this chapter...*meaningful glance to a certain Binus-er*
Webmaster : ¬_¬#..............

Back to fanfiction